Post OP Instructions
- Do not disturb the area of surgery. Avoid vigorous chewing, spitting, rinsing, brushing, using a straw, or smoking.
- To stop the bleeding, bite firmly on gauze or tea bag for 15-30minutes. Replace the gauze or tea bag if bleeding persists.
- Expect minor bleeding from the operative site, which may take place for several days especially when brushing in the area. You may resume brushing your teeth 24hrs after surgery.
- Pain and swelling are a natural outcome of oral surgery, highest degree of discomfort will be the 3rd to the 5th day after surgery.
- Do plan to take off work or school for at least 1 day.
- Do rinse only with warm salt water the day after surgery. Avoid mouthwash such as Listerine or Scope for 1 week.
- Day 1 – clear liquids only. For example – BROTH, TEA, COFFEE, CARBONATED DRINKS, APPLE JUICE. Most solid food for the 1st day is Jello.
- Day 2 – thicker liquids. For example – MILK SHAKES, CREAMED SOUPS, MILK, ICE CREAM.
- Day 3 – soft foods. For example – MASHED POTATOES, SPAGHETTI, RICE, OATMEAL, EGGS, BREAD.
- Day 4 - try to resume your regular diet.
For questions, to schedule an appointment, or to learn more about procedures and our other services, contact OMS today.